Thursday, December 23, 2010

James's Hat



Originally posted here on November 26, 2009.

I wanted to crochet a sort of manly looking hat for my boyfriend, but I was unsatisfied with most of the patterns I found that included the "cabled look" I was aiming for. So, I made this one! This pattern could easily be altered and many different types of hats could be made- get creative!
NOTE-There are six cables. They are created during row 2, by doing the FPDC stitches. Increases are made in each round by dc in the top of the first FPDC. **I would like to point out that if you use a thicker yarn and bigger hook, you are going to get a MUCH bigger hat and you are going to have to alter the pattern. This pattern was written for worsted weight yarn.**

Materials
-US 5.50 MM hook (I)
- Worsted weight yarn (I used Red Heart Super Saver in Grey Heather)

Finished Size
Hat fits average adult head. Hat is stretchy, so it should fit larger heads easily. Pattern could easily be altered to fit children, babies, big heads, and small heads.
 
Notes
FPDC-front post double crochet
BPDC-back post double crochet
dc-double crochet
sl st- slip stitch
st-stitch
ch-chain
To join at the end of each round, slip stitch to the top chain of the initial chain 2 in the round.
You're making an increase by adding a stitch into what appears to be the stitch OVER the FPDC of the previous row. Don't over think it, it is really simple! Throughout the pattern, FPDCs are always done into other FPDCs. The amount of FPDCs stays the same- 12- throughout, until the final two rows).

Pattern
Row 1: Ch 3, 11 dc in 3rd ch from hook, join with sl st to beginning ch 3 (12 sts).
Row 2: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st as join, *1 FPDC in next 2sts, 2 dc in next st* around, join (12 FPDC, 12dc)
Row 3: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 2 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 3 sts* around, join (18 dc)
Row 4: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 3 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 4 sts* around, join (24 dc)
Row 5: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 4 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 5 sts* around, join (30 dc)
Row 6: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 5 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 6 sts* around, join (36 dc)
Row 7: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 6 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 7 sts* around, join (42 dc)
Row 8: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 7 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 8 sts* around, join (48 dc)
Rows 9-12: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 8 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 9 sts* around, join (54 dc)
Rows 13-19: Ch 2, 1 dc in next 9 sts, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 dc in next 10 sts* around, join (60 dc)
Rows 20-21: Ch 2, 1 BPDC in same st as join, 1 BPDC in next st, *1 FPDC in next 2 sts, 1 BPDC in next 2 sts* around, join (30 FPDC, 30 BPDC)
Fasten off, weave in ends.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kelley! Thank you for your kind comment at www.tangledhappy.blogspot.com. I am enjoying meeting so many creative bloggers. I love this hat pattern! Did not think I would ever find a pattern I thought suitable for my husband. But this is perfect! I would love to share it at Tangled Happy. Would that be okay? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be delighted if you shared it! Thank you, Merry Christmas to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hat did not get bigger. Where are the increases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The increases are in rows 2 through 12...

      Delete