Friday, July 1, 2011

A Homemade Scrub

I've been researching how to make my own beauty products as of late, and for two main reasons: I have extremely sensitive skin and can only use unscented and the most basic of skin-related products; it's cheaper and more self-fulfilling to make your own stuff. Another little bonus is know exactly what is going onto your skin, hair, clothing, and whatever else... gives me a nice piece of mind. I made my own laundry detergent back in my dorm, but haven't stuck with using it religiously, though I do like it... made some for James too and he used it up quickly, so it was a hit.

Today, I decided to tackle body/facial scrub. I enjoy sugar scrubs, but they can be pricey... $13 for an eight ounce container of sugar scrub here locally, and that was the cheapest one that I saw! Being the penny pincher that I am, I'm not okay with that. So I went out today and rounded up a few ingredients, and this is the basic recipe that I came up with (and when I say basic, I mean BASIC).

Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar (I got a bag of Dixie Crystal brown sugar, nothing special)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used the Wal-Mart brand... cheap and effective)
Jar or container with lid

Method
Combine brown sugar and extra virgin olive oil in bowl. Mix well.
...And that's it!


I used the whole bag of brown sugar and almost the entire bottle of olive oil, and I made enough to fill up a small canister that I found at Goodwill today (for 99 cents!) and had a little extra that I put in a glass bottle for now. Take a look at my finished product:

 I can't wait to try it out! I'm thinking next time I'll add some lemon or vanilla or something along those lines. It's a pretty versatile recipe, so you can add whatever you'd like!

Next on my list... homemade deodorant!

No comments:

Post a Comment