Thursday, August 16, 2012

Laundry

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm really into pinching pennies. I mean REALLY into it. I also have extremely sensitive skin and can only use certain types of detergents, soaps, lotions, etc. My husband is in the Army and must wash his soiled uniforms ALL THE TIME. Put these little tidbits about me together and you get:
Liquid laundry detergent! I've made the powdered kind before, but I prefer liquid... so I got to searching last night for the easiest liquid laundry detergent recipe, and this is what I came up with after finding this nifty article (which I highly suggest if the recipe that I'm posting doesn't suit your needs). This is very quick to make, and it will save you so much money in the long run. You can also make it exactly how you want it- add your own fragrance or fragranced soap, up the amount of baking soda for extra washing power, tweak it to fit your needs!
You need:
  • A HUGE pot (make sure it can hold at least 2 gallons)
  • Some sort of receptacles for your detergent (make sure you will be able to shake these when full; I used two clean gallon milk jugs)
  • A big spoon for stirring 
  • 2 gallons of water
  • 1 bar of soap, grated (I used Fels-Naptha; you can use any)
  • 2 cups baking soda
  • 2 cups borax (optional- I didn't use this time around but I will next time)
What to do:
  1. Grate the bar of soap into the bottom of your pot.
  2. Add the water, heat to a simmer. Stir constantly until soap is dissolved.
  3. Add baking soda and borax (if using). Stir constantly until dissolved.
  4. Remove from heat; allow to cool.
  5. Pour into receptacles. 
Use 1/2 cup per load, 1 cup per very soiled load.

Ta-daaaa!

Notice that the detergent in the jug on the left is separated- the one on the right has been shaken up. Do this before use to make sure everything is mixed well.

**I have also read that you can add essential oils if you'd like, but to do it after the detergent has cooled to room temperature. Add 10 drops per every 2 gallons of detergent. Suggested oils are tea tree (antibacterial properties), lavender, and peppermint oils. I think vanilla EO would be lovely in it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment