Saturday, October 20, 2012

Homemade Hummus

Around here, we love us some hummus. We go through it like it's nothing. Instead of going out and buying some all of the time, I figured I'd make my own. It's really easy, and completely customizable! Love it. Based loosely off of this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz) can garbanzo beans/chick peas, drained
1/4 cup liquid from garbanzo beans
3-5 T lemon juice
3 T olive oil
1 T tahini paste* (see "how-to" below)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic crushed)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste- we like ours with a kick so this may be a bit much for some)

Directions:
Throw 'em all in a food processor and let 'er rip until desired consistency. I usually do mine for about three minutes until smooth, but that is a personal preference and time will vary with food processor. That's it! Chill and enjoy. I actually keep all of my garbanzo beans in the fridge so I can grab a can, make the hummus, and eat it right away without having to wait for it to chill.
It might not be pretty... but it sure is delicious.

Yum yum yum!

*How to Make Tahini Paste
Guys- I'm cheap. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in previous posts. I'm so cheap. 99% of the time, it is way cheaper to make stuff yourself at home... and it is so much healthier! SO, if you're like me and you don't want to go out and buy a jar of tahini paste (which you can usually find at any grocery store), you've come to the right place. Here's how to make it yourself.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 T olive oil (or enough to make paste your desired consistency- I like mine a bit thick)

Directions:
Combine ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth paste is formed, adding olive oil as desired and scraping sides as needed. This makes a decent amount, considering you only use 1 T for each batch of hummus you make. I keep it in the fridge, but properly stored it would probably be fine in your pantry.


Now go eat!
~KPT

No comments:

Post a Comment